This article will help you create your a new linked server from one instance to another instance.
1. Connect to the 1st instance of SQL Server.
2. Under “Server Objects” look for “Linked Servers” and right click on it and select “New Linked Server”. A new popup box will appear like the below one.
3. In the linked server text box, type the second instance name.
4. In the server type choose Other data source and then select SQL Server Native Client 10.0.
5. In the product name and data source key in the same instance name that was entered in point 3 above. The entry in point 3 is to make sure that we know what we are connecting to.
6. In the catalog key in the specific database name that you want to connect to.
7. In the security tab, click “Be made using this security context” option and key in a remote login & password that already has access to the second instance. If not available then create a new one and put that information here.
8. Thats it, you are now done creating Linked Server.
If you have any issue in creating a linked server then you may not have enough permission on the instance. Even if you have sysadmin access and have problem creating it then get in touch with me on email@example.com for further information.
All the best!